The summer peak holiday season has kicked in, travellers are arriving in Cape Town and locals are prepping for their year-end adventures. Table Mountain Cableway has joined the fun by creating a ‘How To’ guide for anyone planning to tick South Africa’s New7Wonder of Nature off their bucket list.
* For your convenience buy tickets online. Buy your morning or afternoon ticket online at tablemountain.net. Not only is having tickets in hand more convenient; it also allows you to bypass the Ticket Office queue. Morning tickets are valid from 8am to 1pm and afternoon tickets are valid from 1pm. Scan your digital ticket and join the faster moving Ticket Holders queue.
* Park and ride. Catch the FREE MyCiTi shuttle from the Lower Tafelberg Road parking lot to the Lower Cableway Station. Departing every 20 minutes, these shuttles operate from 7am, with the last shuttle leaving the Lower Cableway Station at 7pm.
* Check out the Special Offers. From 6pm daily, all visitors can take advantage of the ½ price Sunset Special promotion. This special runs until 18 December 2016 and again from 4 January 2017. Making things even more affordable for locals – not only do you receive a free ticket on your birthday, SA senior citizens and students pay less on Fridays. Visit tablemountain.net for more information.
* Beat the crowds. Purchase Early Access tickets online for a return trip at R375 per ticket. Available from 15 December 2016 to 15 January 2017, these are valid from 7.30am. Alternatively plan your visit for the afternoon when things are slightly quieter.
* Remember the virtual queue. From 19 December until 8 January, all visitors will need to book a boarding pass for their return trip via the virtual queue kiosks set up at the Lower Cableway Station. Visitors who have hiked up can obtain their boarding pass for the trip down at the Wi-Fi Lounge.
* Much more than free WiFi. Visit the WiFi Lounge, recharge your devices and enjoy the delicious on-the-go food and beverage options. Savour the views from the balconies or settle down in the comfy seats. Hikers can buy one-way tickets at the Wi-Fi Lounge from 19 December 2016 – 8 January 2017.
* Pack right. Remember your walking shoes, sun lotion, sunnies, a warm jacket (just in case) and most importantly, your camera.
Additional Useful info:
* Catch the MyCiTi bus service to the Kloof Nek bus stop before changing over to the FREE MyCiTi 110 shuttle at Lower Tafelberg. Alternatively hop on to the Red City Sightseeing Bus - starting at the Two Oceans Aquarium and stopping at major Cape Town tourist attractions, the service runs every 20 minutes. For further information visit www.citysightseeing.co.za.
* Visit tablemountain.net or follow @TableMountainCA on Twitter to find out if the Cableway is open, what queuing times are like and the weather at the top.
* Free 30-minute guided tours depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace, below the Shop at the Top and Table Mountain Café, on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily.
* There is FREE WiFi at the Lower Cableway Station. You can use this to download the free Table Mountain Cableway audio tours via the Voicemap app (available from the Apple or Google Play stores). Once downloaded, these tours run offline. They’ll provide you with in-queue entertainment at the bottom and enable you to explore the top of the mountain at your own leisure.
* Weather conditions at the Lower and Upper Cable Stations can vary considerably. Longer queues can be expected if the Cableway is closed for a few days in a row due to adverse weather conditions. If you are a local and have more flexibility avoid the Cableway’s busiest days between 19 December and 4 January.
Get above the hustle and bustle this holiday season and discover the majesty of Table Mountain. From the sunsets over the turquoise Atlantic, to the humming cityscape and panoramic views below, the Cableway welcomes you, your friends and family to share in a piece of authentic Cape Town magic with an unforgettable must-do experience.
The Cableway operates weather permitting. For more tips or information about current specials go to www.tablemountain.net, visit Facebook.com/TableMountainCa and Twitter.com/TableMountainCa or call (021) 424 8181.